Company: Champagne Chocolates LLC
Contact: Debbie Heuchert
Tell us about yourself and your company.
Married 22 years to John Heuchert, we have 4 children ranging in ages from 28-31 and 5 grandchildren 6 months - 3 years (totally enjoying being a grandma)
Champagne Chocolates is a woman-owned, Michigan-based company since 1990. We like to think 'outside the box' knowing that it's what's 'inside the box' that really counts!
We take pride in the fact that we use natural flavors to develop our chocolates, trying not to use artificial flavors wherever possible.
How did you get started?
I was pregnant with my 2nd child (due Jan 9th) and needed extra money for Christmas; I learned how to make liqueured cherry cordials and my sister, a salesperson, sold 200 - ½ lb boxes to her customers in 4 weeks. I discovered later that ‘Michigan Law’ prohibits the use of liquor in confectionery products, so I adapted!
I created new flavors and made chocolates in my basement for 14 years before I ventured out to a storefront. We have been in our present location for 8 years and continue to make the same products without losing the homemade quality.
What is the best part about your job?
There are so many things I like about my job, but to pick the most satisfying one:
When someone tells me ‘they don’t like truffles’ and I ask them to try one of ours – the look of enjoyment on their face is priceless!
What sets you apart from others in your industry?
· We make our chocolates in small batches to keep our products consistent.
· Being able to print on truffles in full color (logo, image, photo, monogram, etc.)
· All of our chocolates are original recipes made with fresh ingredients daily
· Chocolate parties have been added lately; where the party guests make truffles with their own hands in our kitchen. We have had party guests as old as 6 and as young as 92.
· Being able to take someone’s idea and turning it into a reality
Do you have any hidden talents?
I try to use every talent I have, therefore, no hidden ones!